As I am about to rip this out, I thought I would show off my first sweater. I knit this in the Spring 2004 (I think).
I took no notes on the pattern or yarn, but with a little looking I am pretty sure the yarn is Berroco Denim Silk (20% silk, 80% rayon.) The pattern was from Berroco too, called Marissa, but it called for a different yarn. I am amazed that even on my first sweater I could not follow along exactly. I am fairly certain that everything else I did was according to the pattern.
If you notice in the picture the neck is not finished. This is because of two big problems in the fit of the sweater. These problems proved to be major learning experiences for me. I thought I would share them.
First, the pattern has no waist shaping. I am very curvy. I need waist shaping. The sweater “fits” but bags out through the waist and is very unflattering.
Second, I had never seamed anything before this sweater. My seams on this sweater are not great. I had no idea what I was doing, so I back stitched all the seams. I also was worried about the shoulders bearing the weight of this heavy yarn so I back stitched then whip stitched the shoulder seams (overkill, I know.) There is even a funny story that goes along with this sweater’s seams.
After finishing everything buy the neck edging I showed the sweater to another knitter. I was very happy with the knitting I had done. When the more experienced knitter took my sweater, she asked “How did you do the seams?” I tried to remain calm and said something I can’t remember, she then started to turn the sweater inside out to see the seams. I was mortified. She thankfully didn’t criticize but did look at me a little funny. So a note to all knitters, do not check another knitter’s seams unless asked to, at least twice.
I think my biggest problem with the sewing was taking in way too much for a seam allowance. The seams are all way too bulky and the bottom of the sleeves are too tight. When I wear the 3/4 sleeve sweater I can’t feel my fingers. I have therefore dubbed this my tourniquet sweater.
Before ripping commences I have taken photos of the seams. They are not that bad, really, but still not great.
I have taken a finishing class since this incident and stick to matress stitch, kitchener stitch, and three needle BOs for all of my sweater seaming now.
The sweater has obviously never been finished. Even if I did finish it, I would not wear it, so I have decided it is finally time to rip. Hopefully the seams are not too hard to undo.