I made a mistake in my new cabled sweater. I was cruising along and 12 rows later noticed my mistake. Oops. I decided to fix it by only reknitting the part that I had messed up. That happened to be the 24 stitch cable on both fronts. I took some pictures to show what I did.
To start, I knit to the problem area. I then picked up stitches with a double pointed needle the row before my mistake.
I then dropped the 24 stitches of the cable pattern off the working needle and pulled out all the rows down to my double point.
Each row knit will have a long piece of yarn left dangling behind the knitting.
You then take the bottom piece of yarn and using a second double point rework the cable pattern row by row. (I have done this before using only the needles the knitting was already on and found it to be much more challenging.)
I knit the whole thing facing me so the purl rows had to be reversed, if you prefer you could turn your work at each row. I found a crochet hook helps if you accidentally drop a stitch or need help making the last couple stitches in each row as you run out of yarn for that row.
The only problem I found was that the first row I knit was a little tight so I had some extra yarn at the end that made the last stitches a little big. I pulled on them some and hope that washing and blocking will even it out in the end. It really isn’t too bad in my opinion.
It took me a little over an hour to fix the first cable and a little under an hour to fix the second. To reknit the whole piece would have taken 3.5-4hrs not counting the time to rip out and rewind the yarn. If I had been working the fronts separate from the back I would have ripped out the whole thing back to the messed up row and redone it. I did not want to reknit the whole back piece in addition to both fronts to fix this so I am happy with my solution.